Monday 7 February 2011

To The Sound Of The World Of Twist You Leant Over and Gave Me A Kiss

I don't have a top ten list of songs in this form or that form. Favourite mid-tempo number, favourite ballad, favourite skiffle number. I don't alphabetize my record collection and have given away my CD collection to GG Lover who was very happy to take off my hands a bunch of 2nd division early 90s indie & dance. I no longer forage and I no longer store. But I'll never get rid of me World Of Twist.

I saw them once at Leicester University. I think it was 91. Baggy was on it's arse and the scene that celebrates itself was unappealing to me. World of Twist had glamour, Northern Soul, Acid House, Hawkwind, Roxy Music, MC Shells & Tony Ogden. They had two singles, The Storm & Sons of the Stage,  that cocked a snook to the shambolic Mega City Four & Senseless Things in favour of that driving rhythm and mad eyed glare. I first heard them on Mark Radcliffe's Out On Blue Six and was literally blown away by The Storm (not an intended pun but I'm leaving it there despite the smell). I ran into Mark a few years later and, as he was an early champion of the band, asked what had happened to them. Alas, the old story was suggested when it comes to Rock & Roll with a hand gesture that I'll leave out there for your own imagination.

This is from a gig in Sheffield filmed for ITV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0DIiOukT0

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog world. Was wondering why you weren't doing this.

    I never got WOT; I was a Saint Etienne guy at the time, the two of them seemed to get compared to each other a lot. I guess it was the fact that they were both into 'everything' rather than sounding alike. Saint Etienne have over the years become probably my favourite band of all time, which I never thought would happen. All that stuff I liked before then is still with me, just I feel like I grew up to Saint Etienne.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete